Neighbourhood Watch was operating in Ashfield over 20 years ago, but ceased when interest dwindled and as a result, crime began to flourish. The current Neighbourhood Watch group commenced on 26th May 2010 and over 80 residents have since joined, with the result that crime is decreasing, but we need to remain vigilant to keep it that way.
The following tips will make your home less attractive to burglars:
- Ensure all doors and windows have adequate locks, including those of garage and sheds.
- Keep gates locked when not in use.
- Trim shrubs to eliminate hiding places.
- Install external security sensor lights.
- Have a peephole in the main door.
- Don’t hide keys outside.
- Have your street number clearly visible from the street.
- Automatic timing switches for lights, TV etc are excellent, as is a safe for valuables.
- A dog is a good deterrent.
and most importantly:
Get to know your neighbours so you can look out for each other.
If you are already a member of Neighbourhood Watch, congratulations. Please ensure your signs are displayed as they are a visible deterrent to criminals.
If you see a suspicious car or person in your street, or around your community, recording the information may help the police to catch a criminal. Call the police on 131 444
Learn more about Neighbourhood Watch at https://www.nhw.wa.gov.au/
Our local Police Station is Kiara
163 Morley Drive East, Kiara 6054
Tel: (08) 9376 7000
Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-4pm
See the trends in crime in Ashfield reported on the WA police website. Crime statistics are updated on a quarterly basis in the last week of January, April, July and October. Offence count data is subject to revision as police investigations may not be finalised at the time the data is published.