Ashfield CAN

Minutes Monday 24th February 2014

Ashfield Soccer Club

Meeting opened 7:06pm

  1. Attendance –Lucy Bromell, Bill Busby, Graeme Haggart, Bob Brown, David Love, Emma Slavin, Gerry Pule, Lenny McLeod, Christine Fisher, Yenny Berry, Noel Berry, Zion Western.
  2. Apologies: Verna Schreuders, Dave Kelly, Marion Cahill
  3. Confirmation of previous minutes. Confirmed: David Love, seconded Emma Slavin
  4. Correspondence – Out    – nil
  5. Correspondence in           – nil

  1. Reports  – President’s Report

Thanks to David Love and Emma Slavin for their work on Newsletter and thanks to Marion Cahill and Ian Bromell for the great cooking at Christmas BBQ.

 

Swan Valley Rotary presented cheque $10 000 to AshfieldCAN for work to commence at Gary Blanch Reserve.

 

On Tuesday 25th final plans for Gary Blanch Reserve are to be presented to the Town of Bassendean (ToB) at the council meeting by Emma Slavin.

 

Painting Bus Shelters-Urban artist George Demadi and 14 students from Cyril Jackson campus will start the designing and painting process.

 

Any suggestions or projects for 2014?

Treasurer’s Report– Robert Brown.  Bal $24 769.01 after Neighbourhood Watch grant and Swan Rotary cheque.

Bob requested for an auditor to help tidy up books and accounts before the formal audit is done.

Neighbourhood  Watch– no report.

 

  1. Business arising  -nil
  2. Gary Blanch Reserve  -Emma Slavin/Graeme Haggart.  Two meetings so far with ToB. Recommendations have been made. First stage, hydrozoning/engineering  to cost of $50 000 will commence asap. Further funding from the Town of Bassendean is expected to help complete the project in the next budget.

Emma to speak on behalf of AshfieldCAN at next council meeting tomorrow.

The engineering part of the project will be done this year  and Ken Cardy (ToB) will start the hydrozoning in Mar/April. Groundworks will include soil, reticulation (filtered water) as well as the limestone path.

The Arbour Centre (tree consultants) will be providing climbing and stepping logs for free.

We can still apply for further grants to fund further sections and we expect that costs may rise for maintenance etc.

The goal is to finish before the amalgamation/absorption of councils June 2015. Gerry Pule to monitor the progress of this process.

Invitation by Gerry Pule to members to attend council meeting tomorrow.

  1. Bus Shelter Project.-as previously mentioned George and students painting 3 bus shelters (2 in Hardy Rd and 1 in French St). If funds and time left over, then other shelters will be done in French St (4 in all) Commencing next week. Disability access will be addressed in future.
  2. General  business

Christine Fisher enquired as to why the seat was taped off/missing?

Has been taken away for cleaning-removal of rust.

 

Gerry Pule suggested Bassendean might be a suitable area for an Aldi store.

 

Noel and Yenny Berry-noted few mosquitoes this year. Good control by council. Also were still waiting for road signs-have requested a report from council for next meeting.

 

Cars parked across footpath at cul-de-sac end of Pearson St blocking access. Suggestion to talk to car owner informally when suitable.

 

Bob Brown-Suggested a future project could be Ashfield Pde Reserve. Cars still parked on the reserve. Any chance of reticulating this area and laneway from Hardy Road and beautifying the area?

Graeme suggested an onsite meeting between residents and council  be organised.

Lucy to write letter to ToB and Swan River Trust as a general problem requiring a meeting.

 

 

David Love has had two meetings with ToB with regards to steps and temporary fencing Ashfield Flats. Discussed riverbank erosion problem –within one metre of paths and immediate action is required. Some seating was in danger of falling into river-has been removed by council.  Also requested that all seats be moved to land side of paths and that the old seating  from Old Perth Road be relocated to A. Flats after refurbishment.

There is no water in the swamps so mossie problem solved.

Lenny McLeod to write letter to ToB

 

Ask Dave Kelly to write to ask Minister John Day (WAPC)  resolve management issues of AshfieldFlats. As it is a natural wetland and –could it be  better managed by the council?

Lucy to action.

 

Emma-Ashfield Forest Project-we need to keep active in this area as Asset Services are keen on the idea –Nick Tatnall and Theresa to help?

 

  1. Meeting closed 8.45pm

Next meeting 24th March 2014 at 7pm Ashfield Soccer Club.

 

Minutes Moved …………………………………………………..seconded………………………………………………

 

Signed president………………………………………………………………………date………………………